Connect with us

News

Kwara Monarch, Son Abducted in Palace Attack

Published

on

Tension has gripped Ile Ere community in Ifelodun Local Government Area of Kwara State after the traditional ruler, HRH Oba Simeon Olaonipekun, and one of his sons, Olaolu—a serving NYSC member—were abducted during a violent attack on the royal palace on Wednesday evening.

Vanguard reports that about eight gunmen stormed the palace around 8:30 pm, firing sporadically into the air before forcing their way into the inner rooms to kidnap the king and his son.

A palace insider revealed that the attackers appeared to target the monarch and his family specifically. “I noticed some unusual movements outside around 8:00 pm and immediately alerted those inside. We began locking doors and switching off lights, but they started shooting once they realised what was happening,” the source said.

The assailants reportedly demanded to see the king. “They broke down the palace doors with their weapons and called for the Kabiyesi. He came out. They were also asking for his wife, Felicia Olaonipekun, who had already been shot in the arm,” the source added. Olaolu, the NYSC member, was also seized after leaving his hiding spot.

At the time of the attack, about ten people were inside the palace, visiting for the holiday, all of whom hid during the assault. The Olori was rushed to a hospital immediately after the gunmen left.

The palace vigilante group could not repel the attackers, as only two members were on duty and were overpowered. “The leader of the attackers spoke fluent English and went straight to the palace. No other area in the town was attacked,” the source said.

The incident has been reported to the Owu Isin and Ijara Isin police divisions and the joint local security network in Ikosin, while neighbouring traditional rulers have also been notified.

As of filing, there has been no official communication from the abductors, and the community has appealed to the state government and security agencies to intensify efforts to secure the safe release of the monarch and his son. Attempts to obtain a comment from the Kwara State Police Command were unsuccessful.

Click to comment

0 Comments

  1. Pingback: N450 Million Ransom demanded for Kwara Monarch, Son, other abductees

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending