Connect with us

News

Kwara Bandits Demand ₦400m, Food, Supplies for Release of 22 Hostages

Published

on

No fewer than 22 people are currently being held by bandits across several communities in Kwara South, with the abductors demanding a combined ransom exceeding ₦400 million, alongside food items and drinks, for their release.

The affected areas include Adanla, Isapa, Isanlu-Isin and Owa-Onire—communities reportedly lacking sustained military or security presence. Investigations reveal that the criminal groups relocated from places such as Okeode, Babanla and Eruku, where federal authorities had earlier established military formations, to more vulnerable locations with minimal security coverage.

Victims in Captivity

Among those still in captivity are nine individuals from Afin in the Ile-Ere district, including the traditional ruler, Oba Simeon Olanipekun, and his son, Olaolu. Also being held are nine persons abducted in Isapa, two kidnapped along the Isanlu-Isin highway earlier this year, and two others taken from Owa-Onire in December.

The Olowa of Owa-Onire, Oba AbdulRahman Fabiyi—himself a former kidnap victim who regained freedom in 2024 after paying ₦5 million—confirmed that two residents abducted in December remain with the bandits. He disclosed that while ₦2 million had already been paid, negotiations reduced the balance to ₦800,000, along with specific food and drink items demanded by the abductors.

Lamenting the absence of security infrastructure in his community, the monarch urged the Kwara State Government to urgently establish a police station in Owa-Onire to curb the rising wave of kidnappings. He warned that without security presence, residents remain exposed to repeated attacks once ransom supplies are exhausted.

Security Challenges Explained

Oba Olanipekun, recounting his ordeal in captivity, attributed the difficulty in confronting the bandits to the vast and dense forests in the area, coupled with numerous escape routes known only to the criminals. He appealed to the state government to strengthen security deployment to protect vulnerable communities.

Providing further insight, the Coordinator of the Joint Security Watch for Kwara South Senatorial District, Zubair Olaitan, said the terrain—characterised by thick forests, hills, caves and porous borders—has made bandit operations difficult to contain. He added that alleged support from some locals, poor surveillance technology and weak coordination have further complicated security efforts.

Despite these challenges, Olaitan said the state government, working with federal agencies, has intensified interventions through the deployment of forest guards and joint patrols. He noted that recent operations have led to the neutralisation of several bandits and arrests of individuals supplying them with weapons and logistics.

Stalled Negotiations, Growing Threats

Meanwhile, no progress has been recorded in talks with bandits demanding ₦300 million for the release of nine victims abducted in Adanla, Ifelodun Local Government Area, on Boxing Day, December 26, 2025. The victims were seized after a failed attempt to abduct the community’s monarch, Oba David Olarinoye, who was away at the time.

Similarly, in Isapa, Ekiti Local Government Area, 11 people remain in captivity, with abductors insisting on ₦35 million for their release. The Akeweje of Isapa land, Chief Idowu Sunday, revealed that attempts to deliver ₦4 million resulted in two emissaries being abducted, increasing the number of captives. He added that the bandits have issued threats of mass killings if their demands are not met.

Community leaders across the affected areas have renewed calls for urgent state intervention, warning that continued inaction could lead to further loss of lives and deepening insecurity in Kwara South.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending