Connect with us

News

Guinea-Bissau Reopens Borders as Military Tightens Control After take over

Published

on

Military authorities in Guinea-Bissau have reopened the country’s borders, one day after seizing control and halting the electoral process in the politically fragile West African nation.

General Lansana Mansali, Inspector General of the Armed Forces, announced on Thursday that the earlier shutdown of all land, air, and sea entry points had been lifted. “All borders are now open,” he said.

The reopening followed Wednesday’s declaration by the military that it had taken full control of the country, suspended all electoral activities, and ordered an immediate nationwide border closure. The announcement came as heavy gunfire echoed around the presidential palace and armed soldiers blocked access to the main road leading to the building.

General Denis N’Canha, head of the presidential military office, told journalists on Thursday that a command structure involving all branches of the armed forces had assumed leadership of the country until further notice. He claimed to have uncovered a plot by local drug traffickers to destabilize the nation, alleging that weapons were being brought into Guinea-Bissau to undermine the constitutional order.

The situation remains tense as citizens and observers await clarity on the country’s political direction.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending