Connect with us

News

Carnival Tragedy in Anambra as Two confirmed dead from Fireworks Explosion

Published

on

At least two persons have been confirmed dead, with several others injured, following a fireworks explosion at a community Christmas carnival in Umuchu, Aguata Local Government Area of Anambra State.

The tragic incident occurred on Monday, December 29, when a high-intensity firework, popularly referred to as a “knockout,” detonated unexpectedly near the main stage of the event, triggering panic among attendees at the peak of the celebration.

Eyewitnesses said the blast caused instant chaos, forcing revellers to flee for safety. One of the victims, identified simply as Ugochi, reportedly died at the scene, while another victim was rushed to a nearby hospital but later succumbed to injuries sustained from the explosion.

Residents expressed fears that the death toll could rise, as several injured persons reportedly suffered severe burns and deep lacerations. According to an eyewitness, the explosion was extremely loud and violent, likening it to a bomb blast, with those closest to the stage collapsing immediately amid widespread confusion and distress.

Videos circulating on social media showed thick smoke enveloping the venue, people running in different directions, and injured victims being hurried away for medical treatment. Among those affected was a teenage girl, estimated to be about 14 years old, who sustained serious injuries to her neck.

A family member confirmed Ugochi’s death in a voice message shared with journalists, stating that she had returned to Umuchu for the Christmas holidays and was dancing at the carnival when the explosion occurred.

Residents also disclosed that several children were among the injured, some of whom sustained burns to their faces and other parts of the body. The fireworks used at the event were said to have been stored in cartons and capable of multiple explosive discharges, which reportedly intensified the impact of the blast.

As of Tuesday morning, no official statement had been issued by community leaders, local authorities, or the Anambra State Government. Emergency agencies were also yet to comment on the incident, raising concerns among residents over the lack of an immediate official response.

Efforts to obtain a reaction from the Anambra State Police Command proved unsuccessful at the time of filing this report.

It will be recalled that the Anambra State Police Command had earlier banned the use of knockout bangers and other ceremonial explosives during the Christmas and New Year festivities. The Commissioner of Police, Ikioye Orutugu, had announced the prohibition in Awka, warning residents to comply with safety guidelines as part of measures to ensure peaceful celebrations across the state.

Click to comment

0 Comments

  1. Pingback: Police Arrest Ngige Convoy Attackers, Two Suspects Killed in Gunfight

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending