News
Benue on The Edge as Multiple Cult Clash Claims 8 Lives
At least eight people have been killed following a surge in violent clashes between rival cult groups across several communities in Benue State, including Makurdi and Jato Aka in Kwande Local Government Area.
Security sources attributed the bloodshed to an escalating struggle for supremacy among the groups, describing the incidents as one of the most severe cult-related crises recorded in the state in recent times.
The violence reportedly began in Otukpo, where one person was killed, before spreading to Gboko with two additional fatalities, all linked to battles over territorial control. These earlier confrontations allegedly triggered fresh attacks in Makurdi and Jato Aka on Wednesday, resulting in three deaths in the state capital and two others in Kwande LGA.
An eyewitness said the Makurdi victims were killed in coordinated late-night shootings around the Wurukum area. Those identified were Mr. Hundred, who was shot opposite the Wurukum Mosque; Mr. Martins Dagba, popularly known as “Wonder,” killed near Solace Hotels; and Mr. Aondoaseer Yisa, also known as “Poka,” who was shot along Usman Street.
According to the eyewitness, the attackers fled immediately after the shootings, adding that earlier clashes in Otukpo and Gboko had heightened tensions across the state. He lamented the loss of lives, describing the killings as senseless and deeply troubling.
Reacting to the incident, Chairman of Makurdi Local Government Area, Mr. Joseph Keffi, condemned what he described as the senseless killing of three persons by suspected cult groups in Wurukum, Walomayo Council Ward. In a statement issued through his media aide, Nathaniel Mayorofmbawa, Keffi said he had reached out to community leaders through his Special Adviser on Security and Political Matters, Mr. Mark Terhide.
He expressed sympathy to the bereaved families and assured residents that the council was working closely with security agencies and other stakeholders to restore peace and strengthen security across the local government. He also urged residents to remain law-abiding, report suspicious activities, and cooperate fully with security operatives.
Meanwhile, the Benue State Police Command confirmed the clash in Jato Aka, with police spokesperson, DSP Udeme Edet, stating that officers swiftly responded to a violent confrontation between the Red and Black cult groups at about 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday.
She said the clash left two men dead, while others sustained injuries and were taken to nearby hospitals for treatment. Edet disclosed that eight suspects—Adebo Mvaater, Pineter Akurayati, Daniel Ese, Samuel Kwaghzer, Isaac Iorapul, Terungwa Tertese, Aondonenge Aper, and Ternenge Aondokura—had been arrested, while efforts were ongoing to apprehend others who fled.
Items recovered from the suspects included a locally made pistol, an expended cartridge, two axes, and two machetes. The police assured that those arrested would be charged to court, reiterating the Commissioner of Police’s resolve to eradicate cultism and other forms of criminality in Benue State.
-
Featured1 month ago
Olugbemisola Odusote Biography, Age, Family, Education, Career, Achievements, Net Worth
-
Business2 months ago
Otedola Commends Tinubu’s Economic Reforms, Urge CBN To Raise Banks’ Capital To ₦1 Trillion
-
Featured1 month ago
How to Set Up WhatsApp Status Reshare: A Comprehensive Guide
-
News1 month agoKwara Bandits Demand ₦400m, Food, Supplies for Release of 22 Hostages
-
Sports2 months ago
Breaking: Chelsea Sacks Enzo Maresca as Head Coach
-
Sports2 months ago
AFCON 2025: Equatorial Guinea Players Gets ban Over Referee Abuse
