Connect with us

News

Terrorists Abduct Travellers, Attack Police Post As Security Tension Rise in North-Central

Published

on

MINNA — Just two days after terrorists killed over 40 people in Agwara and Borgu Local Government Areas of Niger State, suspected bandits struck again, targeting the Isanlu–Isin–Omu Aran highway in Kwara State. At least four travellers were abducted in the early hours of Monday, as insecurity continues to escalate across the region.

The highway attack occurred when armed men ambushed motorists on a key route connecting communities in Kwara South to the state capital, Ilorin. Sources said the assailants forced vehicles to stop and seized passengers, whisking them away to an unknown location. At the time of reporting, the Kwara State Police Command had not issued a statement confirming the abduction or detailing rescue efforts.

This attack comes amid growing insecurity in Kwara, where major kidnapping incidents have become increasingly frequent. Notably, on November 18, 2025, gunmen attacked a Christ Apostolic Church branch in Eruku, killing three worshippers and abducting 38 members, including the pastor.

Police Outpost Set Ablaze in Niger State

In a related incident, suspected terrorists attacked a Nigeria Police Border Patrol post in New Kalli village, Borgu LGA, Niger State, around midnight. The assailants set the patrol room and officers’ accommodation ablaze, destroyed farm produce, and stole personal belongings. No casualties were reported, but fear and frustration among residents have intensified.

The Disaster Officer of Borgu Local Government, Musa Saidu, confirmed that security agencies had been notified and assessments were ongoing. Niger State Police spokesperson Wasiu Abiodun said the attackers were repelled by officers after a fierce gun battle, and reinforcements were deployed to restore normalcy.

Residents Flee Communities After Weekend Attacks

Communities in Agwara and Borgu LGAs are experiencing mass displacement following the recent attacks. Rumours of further planned assaults have prompted residents to abandon their homes, particularly in Kwana, Tugan Salama, and areas near Papiri, where over 300 pupils and staff of St. Mary’s Catholic School were previously abducted.

Revd. Father Matthew Kabirat, Director of Communications for the Catholic Diocese of Kontagora, confirmed that parishioners and priests are relocating to avoid potential attacks. “The security personnel that came after the incident cannot be found; there are no signs of help for the people. These terrorists are having a field day,” he said. Villagers report that bandits routinely move from the Borgu Games Reserve through surrounding villages to launch attacks.

Calls for National Action

Reacting to the Niger attacks, former Anambra State governor and 2023 Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi condemned the killings and urged the federal government to end what he described as the normalization of mass killings in Nigeria. Obi emphasized that protecting citizens must remain a foremost governmental responsibility and called for coordinated, decisive action against insecurity.

The National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Professor Nentawe Yilwatda, also condemned the attacks in Agwara and Borgu, describing them as barbaric and inhuman. He affirmed the APC’s support for President Bola Tinubu’s security initiatives, underscoring the government’s commitment to dismantling criminal networks and restoring peace.

“The forces of terror will not defeat our collective resolve. Nigeria will prevail,” Yilwatda said, pledging continued efforts to build a secure, united, and prosperous nation where citizens are protected from criminal violence.

Source

Click to comment

0 Comments

  1. Pingback: NAF Destroys Terrorist Hideouts in Borno

  2. Pingback: NAF Destroys Terrorist Hideouts in Borno

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending