News
Tension in Uromi as Residents Flee Amid Police Crackdown

Fear and uncertainty have gripped Uromi, Edo State, as several communities, including Old Ilushi Road, Opere, and Good Will Junction, have been deserted. Residents are fleeing over fears of reprisals and arrests following the lynching of 16 travelers last Thursday.
Governor Condemns Killings, Orders Investigation
Edo State Governor Monday Okpebholo, who was in Kano State on Monday, strongly condemned the killings and assured justice for the victims. He revealed that 14 suspects arrested in connection with the incident will be transferred to Abuja for further investigation.
The Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) has also called for an independent judicial panel to thoroughly investigate the tragedy.
Residents Abandon Homes, Fear Indiscriminate Arrests
Many Uromi residents have stopped going to their farms and are seeking refuge in nearby towns due to fear of arbitrary arrests and possible retaliation. Youths, in particular, are fleeing the area.
A resident, Monday, recounted how the attack began:
“The vigilante group received a tip-off that the travelers had weapons in their vehicle. When they got to Uromi, the vigilantes asked them to step down, but they refused. One of them brought out a knife, triggering the alarm.”
He added that although no one is justifying the killings, the actual perpetrators have fled, leaving innocent people to face police arrests.
Conflicting Reports on Victims’ Identity
While security officials claim the victims were hunters, many locals insist they were suspected kidnappers.
A resident, Mr. Akhere, said:
“No one supports mob justice, but those men were not hunters. Real hunters go with dogs. The vigilantes had been tracking these suspects. The mistake was not handing them over to the police. People are frustrated; they’ve lost loved ones. The government has been slow to act.”
Another local, Peter, noted that his cousin—who is part of the town’s security network—had to flee out of fear of being wrongly arrested.
Panic in Ekpoma Over Invasion Rumors
In nearby Ekpoma, chaos erupted on Monday at the local market following rumors of an impending attack by Fulani herders. The false alarm caused traders to flee and motorists to make sudden U-turns. However, security forces quickly restored calm.
- For many residents, the latest violence is a reflection of long-standing insecurity. Jenny Osajie, 30, recalled how her brother was kidnapped and murdered after their family failed to raise a ₦5 million ransom.
“They boldly told us to pick up his body. I’m a Christian, so I’ve left it to God. But the anger is real. We’ve been crying to the government for years—why did they only act now? Is it because of who the victims were?” she questioned.
-
Metro News2 days ago
Residents Flee as Herdsmen Launch Fresh Attack on Benue Community
-
Metro News2 days ago
Governor Mbah Unveils LOC for 2026 National Sports Festival
-
Metro News2 days ago
Another Petrol Tanker Overturns in Oyo
-
Politics1 day ago
APC, LP, others Face Huge setback As Over 5,000 Members Defect to PDP in Benue
-
News1 day ago
Bobrisky Detained by Immigration After Return to Nigeria
-
News2 days ago
Nigerian Army Opens Recruitment for 89 Regular Intake – How to Apply
-
Politics1 day ago
Leaked Tribunal Judgment Sparks Celebration in Edo APC as Okpebholo Leads
-
World News2 days ago
Trump’s Defense Secretary Moves to Bar Women from Combat Roles