Over a thousand kidnap suspects on police net, says IGP
There are over a thousand suspected kidnappers in detention across the country, Inspector-Generalof Police (IGP) Ibrahim Idris said Thursday.
He disclosed this during an interview with reporters shortly after he visited the Oba of Lagos, Rilwanu Akiolu at his palace.
According to Idris, the police were winning the war, just as he called for the establishment of special court and the limitation of trial time for suspected kidnappers.
He said: “We are addressing the issue of kidnapping across the country. On the Abuja-Kaduna Expressway, we paraded more than 50 last week and today (Thursday), more suspects were paraded in Kaduna.
“Like I suggested in other fora, we should have a change. There should be a law creating a special court for kidnapping. Secondly, the period for trial should be shortened so that within a month or two, people are sentenced.
“At the moment, we have over a thousand suspected kidnappers in our custody nationwide. I believe we are winning the war and if these adjustments are made, kidnapping would be a thing of past.
Asked why the military seemed to have taken over internal security role , Idris said it was not for the police to comment on the issue.
He said: “Every country gets the police they deserve. It is not an issue for the police to comment on. I leave that for the people to decide.
“I can tell you that we are prepared for 2019 elections. More Area Commands, Mobile Squadron and units would be created across the country so that we can be closer to the people. All we are appealing is for the passage of the Police Trust Fund Bill.”
The post Over a thousand kidnap suspects on police net, says IGP appeared first on The Nation Nigeria.