FOLLOW IN HIS STEPS (4)
When Jesus set free the adulterous woman he told her ‘go and sin no more’, the crowd must have thought how impossible it will be for such a woman (known for her immoral lifestyle) to go and sin no more. Jesus immediately told the crowd what will make it possible. He said to them, “I am the Light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the Light of life.” Jesus is the Light, if the woman follows Jesus’ teachings and ways she will never walk in darkness/sin anymore and she will be a light. So also anyone willing to give up his/her sinful ways to truly follow Jesus the Light will sin no more- such will be made to be like Jesus as he follows continually, I am a living testimony; where I am today isn’t where I was when I first started following the Light; it’s getting better by the day and my light is shining brighter and brighter day by day.
Yes, when you follow Jesus you will be a light and your light is meant to shine. Jesus told his followers, “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven” Light cannot be hidden so is anyone who is a light, your lifestyle will show that you are a light. You are to live godly lifestyle that will attract the world (sinners) to the Light; thereby delivering them from darkness.
One who is light produces these godly lifestyles:
– Love: loves God and neighbours; loves God with all his heart, soul and strength- lives a life that is pleasing to Him. Loves his fellow human being especially the one who doesn’t deserve to be loved; shows unmerited/unconditional love. And will do no harm to anybody.
– Joy: joyful in spite of affliction, persecution, trial, sorrow etc., not in pretense but real joy. This makes one different and people want to know the source of such strength.
– Peace: Peaceful in times of quarrels, conflicts, distress, fighting. A peace maker.
– Longsuffering: bears very long with another without giving up; long patience even when offended.
– Kindness: in spite of hatred, meanness, unkindness.
– Goodness: to all especially the wicked and undeserving.
– Faithfulness: steadfast in good works.
– Gentleness: tender, respectful, polite, descent, friendly, in spite of antagonism and harshness
– Self-Control: discipline in difficult times; with emotions and desires in check.
Willingness to follow Jesus will make these lifestyles possible, bringing glory to God.
Imagine what this nation will be like if we all live this way. If only 50% in Nigeria live thus, many will come to the Light and our nation will be great because righteousness exalts a nation but sin diminishes a nation.
For the Nigerian motto: UNITY AND FAITH, PEACE AND PROGRESS to be- let your light shine!
SONG: “TRY A LITTLE KINDNESS”
If you see your brother standing by the road
with a heavy load from the seeds he’s sowed
and if you see your sister falling by the way
just stop and say, you’re going the wrong way
You got to try a little kindness
Yes show a little kindness
Just shine your light for everyone to see
and if you try a little kindness
then you’ll overlook the blindness
of narrow-minded people on the narrow-minded streets
Don’t walk around the down and out
Lend a helping hand instead of doubt
and the kindness that you show every day
will help someone along their way. Song Writers: Bobby Austin, Curt Sapaugh
Text: Mathew 5:14, John8:12, Galatians 5:22-23.
From: Faith Nwachukwu